What words come to mind when you think of the holidays?
Food, family, fun, a warm fire, snowfall, scarves, presents, and parties?
For some, the first words that come to mind may not be so merry: temptation, addiction, alcohol. When the season rolls around for recovering alcoholics, the chances for relapse increase.
Today, we’re sharing 3 alternatives to alcoholic holiday drinks so that party-goers and party-throwers can be prepared to offer options that encourage continued sobriety.
Non-Alcoholic Holiday Drinks
Made with a mocktail essential, simple syrup, the pear tree will satisfy your craving for a sweet holiday drink without giving you an unneeded buzz.
- Grab a cocktail shaker and combine 1 cup ice, 1/3 cup pear juice, 2 tbsp lemon-lice juice, 2 tbsp simple syrup, and 4 fresh mint leaves. Shake for 10 seconds or until well-blended.
- Serve in a tumbler and garnish with 1 mint sprig!
Makes 1 serving
Fruit, sugar, tea, and an orange soft drink make this mocktail a fizzy delight! If you are craving a sangria but want to keep your sobriety in tact, this drink will do the trick.
- Process 1 package (10 oz.) frozen, thawed raspberries in your food processor or blender until smooth.
- Place a fine wire-mesh strainer over a large bowl and pour puree to separate the raspberry juice from the seeds.
- Bring 3 cups of water and 1/3 cup of sugar to a boil in a saucepan. Stir often.
- Remove mixture from heat and add 1 family-sized tea bag, then cover and steep for 5 minutes.
- Using a slotted spoon, squeeze the tea bag gently, then remove. Allow your tea mixture to cool slightly.
- Stir your raspberry puree, tea mixture, 2 cups red grape juices, and slides from 1 lemon and 1 lime.
- Cover and chill for 2 to 24 hours.
- Immediately prior to serving, stir in 1 bottle (16 oz.) chilled orange soft drink. Alternatively, substitute 1 cup orange juice and 1 cup lemon-lime soft drink.
Makes 9 cups
Spiced Hot Cocoa
Want a hot holiday drink that doesn’t need to be spiked to taste nice? Spiced hot cocoa is delicious and has a bit of a kick that’s not due to alcohol!
- Prepare 4 cups of your favorite hot cocoa using 1% milk.
- Combine hot cocoa, 1/2 tsp freshly-grated nutmeg, and 1/2 tsp chili powder. Mix well.
- Serve in a mug with a cinnamon stick garnish!
Makes 4 servings.
Happy Holidays From ARCpoint Labs
ARCpoint Labs, nationwide provider of drug and alcohol testing, wants to wish your workplace a happy holidays. If you need accurate, reliable, confidential drug testing, contact your nearest location today.